PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:29 am 
FireStarter

Imakick Urass wrote:
Watch the first one, cath come home. This one started them all off

http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=I8fVnXXM ... ture=mv_sr

No it didn't

Post subject: Re: Kitchen Sink Realism
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:30 am 
No monkey boy was arguing these types of film only started in post war Britain. And you can trace back the plot of Kathy come home to "men are all lairs". So it is the first one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:33 am 
FireStarter

Imakick Urass wrote:
rubbish !!! Wikipedia is wrong !!!

This type of drama first started in 1919 with "All men are lairs". "Cathy come home" is the "modern" updated version of this classic film.

No it isn't........just for the record I have read All Men Are Liars...I haven't seen the movie but I am partial to a non talky so if you ever find a copy let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:39 am 
There is a copy of the film "All Men Are Liars" or there was in library. I will try and find it for you.
I'm going by what that boring old fart told me at the summer screening in Shoreham. Next time you can go instead of me !!!

And no I didn't get laid afterwards !!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:47 am 
The plot of Men are all lairs

The son of a London missionary in All Men are Liars. Forced into marrage, Gordon soon discovers that his bride, Alice Russon, is a thoroughly selfish creature. No good can come of this, and no good does. The men may be liars, as the title indicates, but women don't come off too well either

It is similar in a few ways to kathy come home, I can see where they have updated it for the 1960's.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:54 am 
FireStarter

Monks said in one of his first posts that all films will be influenced by previous films of the same thematic type and you disagreed.

You might be going by that old fart at the summer screening, but I'm going by the British Film Institute, and Monks who studied film at Uni....... although I doubt he got laid afterwards either lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:57 am 
FireStarter

Imakick Urass wrote:
The plot of Men are all lairs

The son of a London missionary in All Men are Liars. Forced into marrage, Gordon soon discovers that his bride, Alice Russon, is a thoroughly selfish creature. No good can come of this, and no good does. The men may be liars, as the title indicates, but women don't come off too well either

It is similar in a few ways to kathy come home, I can see where they have updated it for the 1960's.

No it isn't

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:12 am 
The idea of a hard working man doing his best for a bad wife is a common idea. You can only describe Kathy as selfish. In the play, its all about what she wants and how it leads them both down hill.

In both men are all lairs and Kathy come home: the male is blameless and always painted as a "good man".

The 1960's reworking is more bleak, but theme is the same.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:59 am 
FireStarter

Have you ever seen Cathy Come Home?

Short version: They both wanted the flat and could afford it until the husband got hurt and she got pregnant...then they moved in with his mom and she got pregnant again...basically it's all about the British welfare system and what happened when they couldn't afford a roof over their heads... the last resort was a homeless shelter for women and children only.... he wasn't even allowed in. HE stopped payments and went off somewhere and because she hadn't any money or nowhere to live the children were taken away from her. It was about the need for social reform NOT selfish wives.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:04 am 
Look if HG Wells book, War of the World's can be reworked twice as "theme", so can men are all lairs !!!

[ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next