NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Book Club
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:23 pm 
<the fluze>

simplysuze wrote:
Reading the latest in the Ben Hope series by Scott Mariani.

(Thanks, mims!! Xx).

I hate books that are written in two parts.
Now I've to wait months before the next one is released.

[1744330pz84739fis.gif]

I don't like waiting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:58 pm 
Odin

I'm an avid fan of the film Master and Commander, but as yet, hadn't touched the books. (Well, to be honest, I did make a start, but found it hard going).

Set in the Napoleonic era, the series of books follow the seafaring adventures of Cap't Jack Aubrey and his crew, mainly Stephen Maturin, the ship's surgeon.

The language of the book is precise to that of the day. "They required him to complete his stores and provisions with the utmost possible dispatch". Port is Leeward, as rightly noted. Indeed, the book is not written by a twentieth century writer with no grasp of the period, rather a learned Patrick O Brian.

I've renewed my interest in the book and have already surpassed my original goal.

Siouxie, I believe you would like the book, if not for its nature, then certainly for the style of writing..

I'll need a moment to recover from the tragedy..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:21 pm 
<the fluze>

:think:

Hmm.

Thanks for the recommendation, Tiggmeister ...
(I hope your perseverance pays dividends in enjoyment).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:45 pm 
Odin

You're most welcome..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:05 am 
<the fluze>

^^^ downloaded that one onto my kindle.

It's next in the queue.

[thumbsup.png]

Currently reading 'Me Before You'.
(Only because somebody gifted me the sequel to it, so I want to read them in order).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:34 pm 
<the fluze>

simplysuze wrote:

Currently reading 'Me Before You'.

Oh God.

[sad.png]

:crying:

Just sobbed my way through the end of that one.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:13 am 
<the fluze>

tiggy wrote:
I'm an avid fan of the film Master and Commander, but as yet, hadn't touched the books. (Well, to be honest, I did make a start, but found it hard going).

Set in the Napoleonic era, the series of books follow the seafaring adventures of Cap't Jack Aubrey and his crew, mainly Stephen Maturin, the ship's surgeon.

The language of the book is precise to that of the day. "They required him to complete his stores and provisions with the utmost possible dispatch". Port is Leeward, as rightly noted. Indeed, the book is not written by a twentieth century writer with no grasp of the period, rather a learned Patrick O Brian.

I've renewed my interest in the book and have already surpassed my original goal.

Siouxie, I believe you would like the book, if not for its nature, then certainly for the style of writing..

Loving the writing style and language, (just 10% of the way through the book thus far, according to the all-knowing tool of Kindle), despite struggling a tad with some of the more technical terminology (but guesswork won't cost lives, if I'm not actually responsible for any aspect of seaworthiness! Between that, and the gods of Google, it's all going rather swimmingly).

[thumbsup.png]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:26 am 
Odin

simplysuze wrote:
tiggy wrote:

Loving the writing style and language, (just 10% of the way through the book thus far, according to the all-knowing tool of Kindle), despite struggling a tad with some of the more technical terminology (but guesswork won't cost lives, if I'm not actually responsible for any aspect of seaworthiness! Between that, and the gods of Google, it's all going rather swimmingly).

[thumbsup.png]

[thumbsup.png]

I googled the image of the "Sophie", to give me a mental image of the Brig/sloop herself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:35 am 
<the fluze>

Oo good thinking.

Never thought of images.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:37 am 
<the fluze>

tiggy wrote:
simplysuze wrote:
tiggy wrote:

[thumbsup.png]

[thumbsup.png]

I googled the image of the "Sophie", to give me a mental image of the Brig/sloop herself.

Wonderful stuff.

[thumbsup.png]

(I'd happily live on the water, me).

[ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next