It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Art definition
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:28 pm 
Odin

Wordsworth60 wrote:
tiggy wrote:
If I look at a painting and have to ask what it is, then it’s not art... rather someone’s interpretation..

That's an interesting perspective. It's given me the first insight on why Tracy Emin's "Bed" ls art, because it is obvious that is what it says on the label. It is also similar to the explanation that eventually made sense of some of Picasso's work, which I never 'got' before, for me - it is what you see.

For me it's problematic because it would Claude Monet's "Sunrise" because it's not as clear. But then many art lovers of the day would rejected Impressionism

Perhaps the very thing that makes an object or idea difficult to see as artistic for one person is what makes it art for another.

I referred to paintings, certainly not, Tracy Emin’s bed, which I don’t believe is art...

I'll need a moment to recover from the tragedy..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:53 pm 
Odin

tiggy wrote:
Wordsworth60 wrote:
tiggy wrote:
If I look at a painting and have to ask what it is, then it’s not art... rather someone’s interpretation..

That's an interesting perspective. It's given me the first insight on why Tracy Emin's "Bed" ls art, because it is obvious that is what it says on the label. It is also similar to the explanation that eventually made sense of some of Picasso's work, which I never 'got' before, for me - it is what you see.

For me it's problematic because it would Claude Monet's "Sunrise" because it's not as clear. But then many art lovers of the day would rejected Impressionism

Perhaps the very thing that makes an object or idea difficult to see as artistic for one person is what makes it art for another.

I referred to paintings, certainly not, Tracy Emin’s bed, which I don’t believe is art...

Monet’s Soleil levant is still clear enough to discern... through a glass, darkly, though still comprehendible..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 pm 
Well HELLOOOOO!

Well, such a huge subject reminded me of a not too dissimilar discussion regarding Poetry on JC many moons ago.
So I went searching and found this from yours truly...
From over ELEVEN YEARS AGO no less :shock:... Which I find frighteningly preposterous, as it seems nowhere near that long.
Anyway, this goes some way in establishing what Art (poetry in this case) means to me. But I'm afraid nowhere near providing a clear definition.

https://www.justchat.co.uk/boards/topic ... se-a-poet/

A poet writes always of his personal life; in his finest work out of it’s tragedy, whatever it be, remorse, lost love, or mere loneliness; he never speaks directly as to someone at the breakfast table, there is always a phantasmagoria. . . Even when the poet seems most himself, when he is Raleigh and gives potentates the lie, or Shelley “a nerve o’er which do creep the else unfelt oppressions of this earth,” or Byron “and the soul wears out the breast” as “the sword outwears its sheath,” he is never the bundle of accident and incoherence that sits down to breakfast; he has been reborn as an idea, something intended, complete.

Few poets have been more explicitly attentive to the deliberate creation of a poetic self than William Butler Yeats. The above is taken from his “A General Introduction for my Work”.

Although I am not a restrictive Poetry Purist to the point where Form and Technique are the be all and end all. I do strongly believe that certain degrees of Artistry are essential when distinguishing POETRY from mere (yikes) RHYME.
I do think that calling certain Rhyme Poetry does great poems and great poets a erm… great disservice :?

Honest expression is a wonderful thing… rewarding, thought provoking and inspiring. But just because it is always honest .. does not mean it’s always Art.
“Art is Art because it is not nature”, as Yeats used to like reminding himself, providing his own little take on Goethe’s statement.

The urm.. corrupting possiblities of direct self expression make verse merely confessional. Which is grand y’know? It can be quite fascinating and challenging… but it is NOT poetry in my opinion.

Yeats’ image of the breakfast table is a significant one. It stands for the crude material of everyday life, not yet mediated through the transforming agency of art . T.S. Eliot also touched on this in some ways with his whole “Objective Correlative” gig – although that leaned more towards the context of Drama.
From a point of view of “overdone” another kitchen-esque scenario could be applied (my own alas ) – the sublime nuance of real filtered coffee in comparison to that awful over bashed, bland and obvious instant muck (a poor extension on the splendid Yeats metaphor I know, which sorta proves its own point actually).

The random, arbitrary and formless are replaced or reborn with the skill and dedication of the wordsmith.. the artisan.. the Poet.

(and of course in the world of coffee – with the filter.. the cafetiere.. the Percolator ).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:48 pm 
Well HELLOOOOO!

Sorry, don't know why that came out so fat :blink:
Maybe some of the backstage company can squeeze it a little for me :wink_smile:
Ma Touchly [thumbsup.png]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:34 am 
cont. on page 273. . . .

tiggy wrote:
tiggy wrote:
Wordsworth60 wrote:
tiggy wrote:

Monet’s Soleil levant is still clear enough to discern... through a glass, darkly, though still comprehendible..

Indeed Tiggy. But as the thread's introduction doesn't limit the discussion to paintings, I thought I'd chip in.

Your comment reminded me of an approach that I had found helpful recently in widening my ability to reflect on works of art: thanks.

One of the things I like about the Monet, without seeing it in the flesh, is that it contains a number of elements which could be considered the subject.

Another thought: to what extent does a work of art benefit from a definition, title or explanation? The Monet's title, by placing a limitation on the time of day, kinda puts the other elements into an order of priority. How helpful is that? Isn't even a title subject to the self-awareness of the Artist or whoever?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm 
Odin

Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, and what appeals to one, doesn’t always resonate with another..

Many years back, a friend of mine, a young artist, was given a chance to show her talent at a local gallery.

Her paintings, were abstract.. colour without form.. no tangible outline to her expression. Whilst I could not relate to most of the “paintings”, one stood out. An angry fusion of reds, oranges, yellows.. black streaks.

She asked me what I saw.. my response was immediate

Hades..

I guess we take away what we experience.. though I wonder what a colour-blind individual may see..

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3