PATS CHAT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Petrol stations introduce new £99 charge to pay at the pump
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:09 pm 

Asda's are being tw*ts again [9n5.gif]

If you want to pay for petrol at the pump, they "pre charge" you £99 before you start, take off the price of the petrol and return the difference a few days later [1744330pz84739fis.gif]

My car only costs £35 to fill :rolleyes:

Wot next [confused1.gif]

You walk in Asda for a bottle of milk and they "pre charge" you £99 [shrug65465.gif]

I will not be doing my shopping at Asda or Sainsburys anymore. They can go fcuk themselves [1744330pz84739fis.gif]

Post subject: Re: Petrol stations introduce new £99 charge to pay at the p
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 am 
The Mackem

They dont take £99 it never goes to them

I told her to get out of my fort

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 am 

Yes the banks just hold on to it for a few days :rolleyes:

What's the interest if 20,000 people do it [shrug65465.gif]

One million, nine hundred and eighty thousand for a few days at 5% :think:

£100,000 per day [spank.gif]

And you think Asda spent there money upgrading there pumps to the new system out the goodness of their hearts [rofl02.gif]

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:47 am 
The Mackem

No they don't hold it for Asda they get no interest off it at all.. and the solution is easy.. pay in the kiosk

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm 

Oh Pete you silly man.... how can Asda make money from paying at the kiosk [rofl02.gif]
You'll find the kiosk opening times becoming shorter :wink_smile:

All business send your payments an account they own. They start getting interest from the first day: whether the payments cleared or not. They keep the interest whether the payment clears or not too.

It's the same for you and me :whee:

Argos been running there 14 day returns policy on this principle for years and made a tidy profit from it.
Amazon do much the same :winedrinker:

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

The £99 pound never actually leave your account so nobody earns on it. It's no more than a control that you have enough money on your card before you fill up and drive away.
And Asda's make far more money when you pay at the kiosk as your more likely to buy something else while your there.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:17 pm 
The Mackem

Baby Gravy wrote:
Oh Pete you silly man.... how can Asda make money from paying at the kiosk [rofl02.gif]
You'll find the kiosk opening times becoming shorter :wink_smile:

All business send your payments an account they own. They start getting interest from the first day: whether the payments cleared or not. They keep the interest whether the payment clears or not too.

It's the same for you and me :whee:

Argos been running there 14 day returns policy on this principle for years and made a tidy profit from it.
Amazon do much the same :winedrinker:

Except it's Visa and Mastercard who are doing it.. Asda Sainsbury etc never see the money

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 pm 
The Mackem

Asda have found themselves at the centre of a social media storm after drivers spotted that £99 was 'disappearing' from their accounts at pay-at-the-pump petrol stations.

Shocked drivers have been spotting the hefty sum on their statements after filling up with fuel at some petrol stations.

But it's not a scam - and the money is returned, the Plymouth Herald reports .

The new temporary extra charge of £99 is affecting people using MasterCard and Visa debit and credit cards and automated fuel pumps in garages.

A change bought in due to industry rules has meant that the pre-authorisation payment at petrol stations has gone from £1 to £99 - meaning customers could be left with unavailable funds for a short period of time.

It also means customers may not be able to purchase fuel if they do not have the funds to pay for a full tank.

Angry motorists filling up at Asda garages have complained about the change on social media.

But the process is not unique to the supermarket - it is an industry-wide policy change through MasterCard and Visa

Asda has been piloting the new change in stores in the north.

Jade Louise bought £5-worth of fuel from Asda in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, but when she later checked her bank account online found that £99 had been ‘earmarked’ to cover the transaction, the Mirror reports .

She described the process as an “absolute joke” on Facebook, adding: “Don’t go to Asda for fuel unless you can live without £99 for around 2-3 days.”

Her post has now been shared more than 18,000 times, with other users now vowing not to buy petrol from the supermarket.

Customers could be turned away at pay at the pump sites if they do not have enough funds to cover the £99 pre-authorisation payment - the equivalent to a full tank.

The change has been brought in to protect both customers and garages, to ensure that motorists don't fill up with more fuel than they can afford.

An Asda spokesperson said: “Visa and MasterCard have increased the minimum pre-authorisation amount at pay at the pump petrol pumps for all retailers.”

If customers do not have £99, MasterCard says that a further step will be made available to petrol stations which will allow them to check what funds the customer has available, enabling a lower value of fuel to be dispensed.

Visa say that the pay-at-pump payments will now mean that an initial amount [£99] is held against the account whilst the fuel is dispensed, which ensures the customer has the sufficient funds to pay for the fuel.

A Visa spokesperson added that the company has been working closely with banks "to ensure that consumers do not experience delays in the adjustment of the initially-held amount".

Visa advise customers who do experience delays with the pre-authorisation payments to contact their bank immediately.

A MasterCard spokesperson said: "Last year a change in industry rules meant that petrol stations with automated fuel pumps were required to pre-authorise a value equivalent to a full tank of fuel, so that customers didn’t fill up with more fuel than they could afford.

"This is designed to protect them, and the petrol station.

"If customers don’t have the required funds in their bank account, a further step is available to petrol stations which allows them to check what available funds a customer has, enabling a lower value of fuel to be dispensed.

"While some customers may see a request for a higher amount than the fuel they bought - perhaps on their mobile banking app -these funds are not taken from their account. Only the value of the petrol dispensed is withdrawn."

A pre-authorisation payment is a temporary hold of a specific amount of the available balance on a credit or debit card that is provided upon booking.

The pre-authorisation is not a charge and no funds have been debited from your account, but they will not be accessible for a short period of time.

Visa issued a statement which reads: “The way that pay-at-pump fuel payments are treated has been standardised across the industry to ensure security for individual cardholders, retailers and card issuers.

“When an individual chooses to pay at a pay-at-pump fuel dispenser, an initial amount is held against their account while they dispense their fuel to ensure that they have sufficient funds to pay for the cost of their fuel.

"This initial amount should be adjusted immediately after fuel is dispensed to reflect the actual cost of the fuel.

“Visa has been working closely with card issuing banks to ensure that consumers do not experience delays in the adjustment of the initially-held amount.

"However if consumers notice that initial amounts held against their accounts are not adjusted immediately, they should raise this with their card issuing bank in the first instance.”

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:21 pm 
The Mackem

Angry motorists filling up at Asda garages have complained about the change on social media.

Social Media eh... there's a surprise. I'd amend that to fcuking stupid drivers

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:47 pm 

Quote:
An Asda spokesperson said: “Visa and MasterCard have increased the minimum pre-authorisation amount at pay at the pump petrol pumps for all retailers.”

If this was the case, why is Asda the only company doing this [adrian.gif]

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next