PATS CHAT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Dads Army
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:19 pm 
Odin

During the latest snow flurries, the army has been called out to rescue motorists across parts of the country, including Manchester and Lincolnshire.. the 4x4’s have rescued many families from cars, but should the army be automatically mobilised when the weather takes a turn?

I'll need a moment to recover from the tragedy..

Post subject: Re: Dads Army
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 pm 

You mean like if there a flood [shrug65465.gif]
We have people for that, there called the environment agency and have a £1.3 billion budget. [1744330pz84739fis.gif]

What about people traped in there cars in the snow [shrug65465.gif]
We have people for that, there called Highways England. Its there job to keep the roads open and moving :rolleyes:

In the last 12 months we're thrown around 2-5 billion at natural disasters. If we have to call in the army to cover this, what the fcuk are environment agency and Highways England doing [9n5.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:36 pm 
Odin

Baby Gravy wrote:
You mean like if there a flood [shrug65465.gif]
We have people for that, there called the environment agency and have a £1.3 billion budget. [1744330pz84739fis.gif]

What about people traped in there cars in the snow [shrug65465.gif]
We have people for that, there called Highways England. Its there job to keep the roads open and moving :rolleyes:

In the last 12 months we're thrown around 2-5 billion at natural disasters. If we have to call in the army to cover this, what the fcuk are environment agency and Highways England doing [9n5.gif]

Both agencies have quickly become overstretched. There’s a limited budget for both these agencies and they don’t go a long way..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:51 pm 

Your not living in the real world yet again :rolleyes:

A snow plough/ gritter cost around 50k to buy new and last for 20 years.
Since there never all needed in the same place at the same time, if you maintained a fleet of 2000 or even hire them in, the roads wouldn't be blocked [9n5.gif]

Instead there budgets go on none sense projects and topping up there own pension schemes. Its more importance to pay high wages to "attract talent" than buy equipment to meet there role. :wall:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:00 pm 
Odin

You appear to have an issue focusing... the question was if we should mobilise the army and you’re prattling on about the cost of snow ploughs..

I personally believe the army should be utilised in severe weather, to support county councils in any way necessary.. our armed forces support communities abroad in times of natural disasters such as tsunamis, hurricanes etc and would be an ideal support.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:22 pm 

And my replied was:

" why do we need the army to help when we have two government departments tasked with this role? "

:rolleyes:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:49 pm 
Odin

Baby Gravy wrote:
And my replied was:

" why do we need the army to help when we have two government departments tasked with this role? "

:rolleyes:

Given that the army has been called upon to rescue, stranded motorists, where those two government departments have become overwhelmed, you believe that the stranded motorists should have been left in the snow as a lesson to the government?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:03 pm 

Again your not living in the real world [9n5.gif]

Its not the army's role to carry out rescue missions inside the UK, we have a department called "fire and rescue". :wall:

Using the army is doing more harm than good. All its doing is giving those government departments tasked with this less reason to invest and deal with these issues.

It wont end until the Royal Marines are fixing pot holes [adrian.gif]

Now start living in the real world and face the truth: we have more computers, "cycle to work programs" and other none sense being paid for by these departments .......than roads that can handle bad weather and gritter lorries :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:54 pm 
Odin

“The Real world” relied on the army to rescue stranded motorists. If you feel adding “roll eyes” emoticons to your argument adds strength, then you’ll need a few more..

The real world isn’t funded enough. If your argument is based on a world where government departments are fully funded, then you need to re-evaluate the world you live in, because it clearly isn’t everyone else’s..

The army are ideally placed up and down the country, to bring aid, in extreme weather, such as the weather we’ve just endured..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:29 pm 
Dubbs

tiggy wrote:
During the latest snow flurries, the army has been called out to rescue motorists across parts of the country, including Manchester and Lincolnshire.. the 4x4’s have rescued many families from cars, but should the army be automatically mobilised when the weather takes a turn?

Yes.
The government can only have a certain amount of staff on a payroll, an emergency like this one on the scale it's on could never have been handled by civil servants alone. Here on Wednesday/Thursday most non emergency help was coming from volunteers so the official ambulance could deal with high priority calls.

If the army where called in the roads would be clear so less traffic abandoned or stuck for hours, and everyone could get to emergency services if needed.

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next