NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racist or not
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:06 pm 
Silent Assassin

Tabby Cat wrote:
But you don't see black kids or black people and immediately think monkey. That's the difference between you, me and these morons.

Do I see black kids or black people and immediately think monkey? No, not immediately, not ever.

Have I walked down the street with a black friend while idiotic, usually drunk, men have offered her 'a bit of white meat inside her' then when she ignored them, walk behind her mimicking the gait of a monkey and making chimp noises at her and told her to get back in the trees where she belongs? Yes.

Have I been to a football match to see a friend's son, black, play his first big match, and heard the chimp noises and various monkey insults made to him from complete strangers who think it's ok, and watched the change in the boy? Yes.

Does that help me to see why this could be offensive? Yes.

Does that make me a moron? If caring about other people's feelings makes me a moron then guilty as charged.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:13 pm 
Odin

Tabby Cat wrote:
But you don't see black kids or black people and immediately think monkey. That's the difference between you, me and these morons.

No, I don’t.

Colour makes no difference to me, just attitude. Morons come in all shapes and sizes... and colours..

I'll need a moment to recover from the tragedy..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 pm 
Odin

Catmanblue wrote:
tiggy wrote:
Tabby Cat wrote:
Peeks wrote:
I’m so bored with this now. Retailers have been selling children’s clothes with monkeys and cheeky monkey slogans on for decades, I have photos of mine when they were small with their cheeky monkey tee shirts and caps on. Last year my 5 year old twin granddaughters collared me for cheeky monkey sweatshirts and matching rucksacks, can’t exactly remember which shop they were from but there was never any furore about it. This is all because a black child model was used for the shoot, absolutely ridiculous, the little child looked adorable, no offence was meant I’m certain of that, the advertising agency, the child’s parent and H&M would never have let them get published, far too much at stake.

It's just morons seeing something that isn't there. But they want to claim the moral high ground and make a fuss but they cannot see the irony that it is only them who see black people as monkeys.

I see most kids as little monkeys, cheeky monkeys, little shits, but mostly little angels..

I will remind you of this comment on Wednesday when we have the 15 year old and 13 year old nephews down for dinner :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One’s an Angel... the other’s a little shit.. :wink_smile:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 pm 
Nip and Nap

Amber wrote:
Tabby Cat wrote:

Do I see black kids or black people and immediately think monkey? No, not immediately, not ever.

Have I walked down the street with a black friend while idiotic, usually drunk, men have offered her 'a bit of white meat inside her' then when she ignored them, walk behind her mimicking the gait of a monkey and making chimp noises at her and told her to get back in the trees where she belongs? Yes.

Have I been to a football match to see a friend's son, black, play his first big match, and heard the chimp noises and various monkey insults made to him from complete strangers who think it's ok, and watched the change in the boy? Yes.

Does that help me to see why this could be offensive? Yes.

Does that make me a moron? If caring about other people's feelings makes me a moron then guilty as charged.

I didn't say you were a moron. I'm referring to those that made this an issue on social media and those morons that indulge in such racism.

So what do you suggest we do? Hide from it? Tread on egg shells through fear of upsetting someone? Tell a black child that they cannot have anything to do with stuff that has monkeys on, or even accept a banana from a white person as it has racist overtones?

"I may have laughed last, but I'm laughing the longest and loudest." Tabby Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:04 pm 
cont. on page 273. . . .

Tabby, this is so going to come back and bite you in the arse . . . .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:08 pm 
Silent Assassin

From one extreme to the other :rolleyes:

A professional working in marketing should be giving consideration to the image and wording used to sell whatever the product is and the message they want to convey to their target audience, giving due consideration on whether that message can be misconstrued or cause offence. In this instance all they had to do was choose a picture of two children, say one boy and one girl, and put them in different colours of the same top. It's not rocket science and it's not hard to do, it just needs engagement of the brain and ability to see things through other people's eyes. If you can't do that you shouldn't be in marketing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:10 pm 
cont. on page 273. . . .

Peeks wrote:
I’m so bored with this now. Retailers have been selling children’s clothes with monkeys and cheeky monkey slogans on for decades, I have photos of mine when they were small with their cheeky monkey tee shirts and caps on. Last year my 5 year old twin granddaughters collared me for cheeky monkey sweatshirts and matching rucksacks, can’t exactly remember which shop they were from but there was never any furore about it. This is all because a black child model was used for the shoot, absolutely ridiculous, the little child looked adorable, no offence was meant I’m certain of that, the advertising agency, the child’s parent and H&M would never have let them get published, far too much at stake.

It's not the people taking offence at the ad who've been going on about it here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:56 pm 
Odin

Liam Neeson is the latest to fall foul of the “racist tag” after he admitted in an interview with The Independent, a long time ago, he’d wanted to kill a black man, after someone close to him had been raped by a black man.

Neeson went on to say he’d used racially offensive language and had carried a cosh around with him, hoping to be assaulted by a black man, so he could kill them.. He said that he’d come to his senses, realising how stupid he’d been. He told ABC that had it been an Irishman, Brit or Scot, his actions would have been the same..

Plenty of people have fallen either side of the fence.. some saying he’s written his own epitaph in the industry, whilst others have congratulated him for being open and honest and understand his actions, because of the nature of the allegation.

His use of the language isn’t acceptable, but understandable, given the seriousness of the assault on his friend.. however to target a community based on the actions of one is deplorable..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

tiggy wrote:
Liam Neeson is the latest to fall foul of the “racist tag” after he admitted in an interview with The Independent, a long time ago, he’d wanted to kill a black man, after someone close to him had been raped by a black man.

Neeson went on to say he’d used racially offensive language and had carried a cosh around with him, hoping to be assaulted by a black man, so he could kill them.. He said that he’d come to his senses, realising how stupid he’d been. He told ABC that had it been an Irishman, Brit or Scot, his actions would have been the same..

Plenty of people have fallen either side of the fence.. some saying he’s written his own epitaph in the industry, whilst others have congratulated him for being open and honest and understand his actions, because of the nature of the allegation.

His use of the language isn’t acceptable, but understandable, given the seriousness of the assault on his friend.. however to target a community based on the actions of one is deplorable..

This incident is a prime example of the worst side of social media. A side I'm growing to detest. The poor bloke decided to open up about how he felt after a shocking incident 40 years ago and now the whole world (via social media) are having him hung drawn and quartered. His movie premier has had to be postponed, his career may well be in tatters and no doubt he's been suffering death threats from every fruitloop that has access to the internet. His crime, being honest about his feelings. Its deplorable what he's being put through and its depressing to see social media and topical tv discussion programs being used to trash his integrity.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 am 
Person of Interest

He did however grow up in Northern Ireland during the worst of the troubles. Violent racism will be his take on his early world. Yet he dragged himself out of all that; recognized it for the great wrong it was, and left it behind......almost.

The fact that he apologised with the truth for something that happened over forty years ago says a lot for the man.

It might though have been good publicity for his new film, but that doesn't seem to be working too well.

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next