PATS CHAT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 6
 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Can you be both a Tory and a Christian?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:59 am 
Offline
Nip and Nap
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm
Posts: 12098
May is the daughter of a vicar and goes toChurch. Andrea Leadsrom also claims to be a Christian.

Both are Tories who are happy to let old people live in poverty and to enable their rich friends to continue to amass wealth. They both openly support fox hunting.

Being a Tory and being a Christian is incompatible as they are two separate ends of a very long spectrum.

_________________
Image

Image

"I may have laughed last, but I'm laughing the longest and loudest." Tabby Cat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can you be both a Tory and a Christian?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 am 
Offline
The Mackem
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 5:06 pm
Posts: 4959
Are you saying when labour were running the country old people were well off ?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can you be both a Tory and a Christian?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:56 am 
Offline
Odin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:21 pm
Posts: 17113
Location: Valhöll
Religion and politics are like oil and water..

_________________
Don't like me... that's a shame

I'll need a moment to recover from the tragedy..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can you be both a Tory and a Christian?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:08 am 
Offline
cont. on page 273. . . .
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:01 pm
Posts: 4352
Assessing 21st century behaviour by 1st century beliefs based on a 3rd century publication and its intervening history is fraught with difficulty.

The New Testament doesn't pronounce one way or the other on fox hunting. It also contains some statements which place the poor below certain more transcendent priorities and exclude any that don't work even from basic communal provision within the 'flock'.

Most people pick and choose which aspects of their beliefs take priority and which principles they can sacrifice for pragmatism e.g. Diane Abbott, who decided her son's wishes were more important than her stated views on the subject and sent him to a private school (I don't know whether she paid full fees or he got a scholarship).

Are you a Christian believer yourself Tabby?

_________________
Image


'Tis The Season!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can you be both a Tory and a Christian?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:12 am 
Offline
Nip and Nap
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm
Posts: 12098
No I'm an atheist but I'm well versed in the teachings of the Bible due to bring indoctrinated at school.

_________________
Image

Image

"I may have laughed last, but I'm laughing the longest and loudest." Tabby Cat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can you be both a Tory and a Christian?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:14 am 
Offline
Nip and Nap
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm
Posts: 12098
Pete wrote:
Are you saying when labour were running the country old people were well off ?


I'm saying Labour's policies and their socialist element is closer to Christianity than that of the Tories. Look after others etc and not just yourself. The latter being the Tory way.

_________________
Image

Image

"I may have laughed last, but I'm laughing the longest and loudest." Tabby Cat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can you be both a Tory and a Christian?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:32 am 
Offline
cont. on page 273. . . .
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:01 pm
Posts: 4352
Tabby Cat wrote:
No I'm an atheist but I'm well versed in the teachings of the Bible due to bring indoctrinated at school.


Fair enough. But indoctrinators usually have their own bias on things. Perhaps if you were encouraged you to build a clear picture of the religion for yourself, you'd be less prescriptive. There are a huge number of approaches to Christianity after all.

_________________
Image


'Tis The Season!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can you be both a Tory and a Christian?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:14 am 
Offline
Person of Interest

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:32 pm
Posts: 1524
Wordsworth60 wrote:
Tabby Cat wrote:
No I'm an atheist but I'm well versed in the teachings of the Bible due to bring indoctrinated at school.


Fair enough. But indoctrinators usually have their own bias on things. Perhaps if you were encouraged you to build a clear picture of the religion for yourself, you'd be less prescriptive. There are a huge number of approaches to Christianity after all.


I wish I had Christian belief. Secure in the knowledge that there is some benevolent, but edgy, old man up there looking after me................But I don't.

Used to. I was Sunday schooled and even baptised, as a kid but as I grew up the silliness of it all broke trough, and I became free.

I mean, just how many can sit at the right hand of God, or believe in angels, cherubs and such.

It's a bit like the numberless virgins waiting for the good Jihadist................they just don't exist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can you be both a Tory and a Christian?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:18 am 
Offline
cont. on page 273. . . .
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:01 pm
Posts: 4352
Dong wrote:
Wordsworth60 wrote:
Tabby Cat wrote:
No I'm an atheist but I'm well versed in the teachings of the Bible due to bring indoctrinated at school.


Fair enough. But indoctrinators usually have their own bias on things. Perhaps if you were encouraged you to build a clear picture of the religion for yourself, you'd be less prescriptive. There are a huge number of approaches to Christianity after all.


I wish I had Christian belief. Secure in the knowledge that there is some benevolent, but edgy, old man up there looking after me................But I don't.

Used to. I was Sunday schooled and even baptised, as a kid but as I grew up the silliness of it all broke trough, and I became free.

I mean, just how many can sit at the right hand of God, or believe in angels, cherubs and such.

It's a bit like the numberless virgins waiting for the good Jihadist................they just don't exist.


It's not that simple even for many who do believe.

_________________
Image


'Tis The Season!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Can you be both a Tory and a Christian?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 am 
Offline
Nip and Nap
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm
Posts: 12098
Wordsworth60 wrote:
Tabby Cat wrote:
No I'm an atheist but I'm well versed in the teachings of the Bible due to bring indoctrinated at school.


Fair enough. But indoctrinators usually have their own bias on things. Perhaps if you were encouraged you to build a clear picture of the religion for yourself, you'd be less prescriptive. There are a huge number of approaches to Christianity after all.


Verse from a hymn:

The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
God made them high and lowly,
And ordered their estate.

Do other Christian denominations overtly display class and wealth differences? [shrug65465.gif]

_________________
Image

Image

"I may have laughed last, but I'm laughing the longest and loudest." Tabby Cat


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 6
 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Chronicles phpBB2 theme by Jakob Persson. Stone textures by Patty Herford.
With special thanks to RuneVillage


Templatesdragon  styles collection