PATS CHAT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 5
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The DUP
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:39 pm 
Offline
Nip and Nap
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm
Posts: 11795
Theresa May's new partners in government have strong historical links with Loyalist paramilitary groups. Specifically, the terrorist group Ulster Resistance was founded by a collection of people who went on to be prominent DUP politicians. Peter Robinson, for example, who was DUP leader and Northern Ireland’s first minister until last year, was an active member of Ulster Resistance. One of the things the group did was collaborate with other terrorist organisations such as the Ulster Volunteer Force to smuggle arms into the UK, including RPG rocket launchers.

Of course, Northern Ireland has moved towards peace, and the DUP, like their opponents in Sinn Fein, have rescinded violence. As part of that normalisation, the fact that parties which include people who have abandoned civil war can be brought into the democratic process is a good thing.

But for the Tories to end an election campaign which they spent attacking Corbyn for his alleged links to former Northern Irish terrorists by going into coalition with a party founded by former Northern Irish terrorists would be a deep irony.

_________________
Image

Image

"I may have laughed last, but I'm laughing the longest and loudest." Tabby Cat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DUP
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:03 pm 
Offline
Odin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:21 pm
Posts: 15958
Location: Valhöll
Tabby Cat wrote:
Northern Ireland has moved towards peace, and the DUP, like their opponents in Sinn Fein, have rescinded violence. As part of that normalisation, the fact that parties which include people who have abandoned civil war can be brought into the democratic process is a good thing.

:yey:

_________________
I am responsible for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DUP
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:13 pm 
Offline
Nip and Nap
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm
Posts: 11795
tiggy wrote:
Tabby Cat wrote:
Northern Ireland has moved towards peace, and the DUP, like their opponents in Sinn Fein, have rescinded violence. As part of that normalisation, the fact that parties which include people who have abandoned civil war can be brought into the democratic process is a good thing.

:yey:


Still a party of terrorists but you prefer the other Irish terrorists.
[adrian.gif]

_________________
Image

Image

"I may have laughed last, but I'm laughing the longest and loudest." Tabby Cat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DUP
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:45 pm 
Offline
Odin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:21 pm
Posts: 15958
Location: Valhöll
Tabby Cat wrote:
tiggy wrote:
Tabby Cat wrote:
Northern Ireland has moved towards peace, and the DUP, like their opponents in Sinn Fein, have rescinded violence. As part of that normalisation, the fact that parties which include people who have abandoned civil war can be brought into the democratic process is a good thing.

:yey:


Still a party of terrorists but you prefer the other Irish terrorists.
[adrian.gif]

I prefer no terrorists..

_________________
I am responsible for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DUP
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:52 pm 
Offline
Nip and Nap
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm
Posts: 11795
tiggy wrote:
Tabby Cat wrote:
tiggy wrote:
Tabby Cat wrote:
Northern Ireland has moved towards peace, and the DUP, like their opponents in Sinn Fein, have rescinded violence. As part of that normalisation, the fact that parties which include people who have abandoned civil war can be brought into the democratic process is a good thing.

:yey:


Still a party of terrorists but you prefer the other Irish terrorists.
[adrian.gif]

I prefer no terrorists..


:liar: :liar: :liar:

_________________
Image

Image

"I may have laughed last, but I'm laughing the longest and loudest." Tabby Cat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DUP
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 4016
What's in store. The DUP support a "hard" Brexit, Sinn Féin don't. May will go for the hard Brexit because it is an easier option. That one issue alone will cause confrontation.The DUP immediately took its website down after the election because it contained rather unsavory remarks, regressive, homophobic and misogynistic policies. The tory propaganda machine is already in full swing to air brush that out of the equation. The DUP manifesto also states that there should be a review of current terrorism legislation and an expansion of cyber security research in Northern Ireland. Which again will raise tensions with Sinn Féin.

"Its members have also made a string of homophobic comments, including branding LGBT people as “disgusting” and an “abomination”.

The party tabled a “petition of concern” following a vote to legalise same-sex marriage last May, meaning the proposal could only succeed if a sufficient number of both unionist and nationalist members of the legislative assembly (MLAs) backed it.

While 41 nationalists backed the proposal, it was approved by only four unionists, meaning it could not pass.

In 2015, the party's health minister faced criticism when he said: “The facts show that you certainly don’t bring a child up in a homosexual relationship. That child is far more likely to be abused or neglected.”

Not even getting into their views on abortion and climate change, which they deny.

Not even getting into their links with organized crime and terrorism.


[eusa_naughty.gif]

_________________
Courage is knowing what not to fear.

Plato


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DUP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:25 pm 
Offline
cont. on page 273. . . .

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:01 pm
Posts: 3879
According to one online poster - with some support from my 30 seconds of research:

    The DUP can't vote on English laws, due to the EVEL (not a pun) law passed in 2015.
    The DUP promised a soft Brexit in their manifesto due to the border with Ireland, so are at odds with the Prime Minister.
    Thus the Conservatives can't vote through their manifesto without the support of other parties' MPs even if all their own MPs support it.
    A failure to pass bills might lead to a vote of No Confidence and another election.
    Technically there can't be a coalition with the DUP because the Peace Agreement commits the UK government to neutrality.
    The Conservatives will remain a minority government.

If this is all true then the game, such as it is, is still on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DUP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:28 pm 
Offline
<the fluze>

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts: 43034
ButchPaul said that DUP supported hard Brexit.
You say DUP supports soft Brexit.


It's no wonder I'm confused.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DUP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:32 pm 
Offline
cont. on page 273. . . .

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:01 pm
Posts: 3879
A quick "DUP and Brexit" google has a clip of their Leader, Arlene Foster, saying "No one wants a hard Brexit" and several references to the DUP wanting a soft one.


Phnar! Phnar!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The DUP
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:36 pm 
Offline
<the fluze>

Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 pm
Posts: 43034
Knowing our bloody luck, the EU will serve the UK our Brexit well and truly scrambled.

And who could blame them?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 5
 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Chronicles phpBB2 theme by Jakob Persson. Stone textures by Patty Herford.
With special thanks to RuneVillage


Templatesdragon  styles collection