PATS CHAT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 8:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Brexit, cheap flights and business class
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:55 pm 

Most know I'm in Eureka, ca, usa right now dealing with a family property issue.

For a moment I'm going to moan on about my fight here :rolleyes:

When I booked my airline tickets back in January the UK was going to leave the EU and the world was going to end [eng1.gif]

Instead of flying from Gatwick or Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle seem a better idea. If the world did end there was the option of popping on the ferry at Newhaven and taking the train to Paris.

The UK did not leave and took a fight from Gatwick to Paris adding another 2 hours to my journey [9n5.gif]

This is my last visits to America, no good reason to return, not even for a holiday. My first trip was in 1982 :blush:

In the past economy flying was preferred. Why waste good money on an airline ticket [shrug65465.gif]

This time United airlines polaris business class was preferred. My healths not a 100% and being jammed a cheap seat for 11 hours seem close S&M :thumbsup:

The ticket cost 5 times the price of economy and was worth every penny, They really looked after me. :winedrinker:

I'm due to fly home next week and I'm looking forward to the fight for a change :whee:

My only real mistake was coming here on my own. I'm only here for 5 days and most of that is spent traveling and talking to land agents. There seem little point in bring someone along, after all this is family matter.

Post subject: Re: Brexit, cheap flights and business class
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Why on earth would Brexit have had an effect on flights from Britain to the US :crazy:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:09 pm 

Is his ask a silly question get a silly answer time [shrug65465.gif]

Its called Brexit uncertainty :rolleyes:

The UK was going to leave in March. At the time of booking there was no open skies agreements in place with the EU.

London airports are hubs for UK airlines, with no agreement in place the UK's airline fleet may have grounded.

After the Iceland volcano dust thingy a few years ago, the UK airline fleet was grounded for weeks. Resulting in airports running out of space to land and unload passages, effectively shutting them down. Even airports unaffected by the volcano dust had no fights in and out due to aircraft stranded due to the hub system.

I decided to use Paris instead of London for this reason. If there was no agreement in place, fights in and out of London's airports may be delays or cancelled. No matter where they were going.

Watch this to understand why the hub system can grind to a halt due to a few hours delay.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

You were right about one thing, it was a silly answer. :rolleyes:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:31 pm 

Well I did not know you in California right now. And as a frequent flyer you can say..First class and upgraded economy do cost few hundred more always. So you get little more privacy, served first, on first, off first..and extra free glasses of champagne. Maybe a hello from pilot..
Also need to put in consideration high travel season, on and off seasons.

As far as your property holdings, I am sorry for your difficulty. Ownership requires property taxes and income..basically assets..if an Estate issue can be complicated if others have rights too..good luck. If need help, PM me. Estates are my top legal experiences. Each State has own set of guidelines. Taxes etc..again good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:07 am 
Site Admin

I still can't get over how somebody would be so dumb as to travel all the way to Paris to catch a flight to America when there's a perfectly good international airport a quick train journey up the road from him. It's beyond stupid.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:04 pm 

Beach Baby the property was around 40 acres, with a buildings and accommodation. Left in a will may years ago by an uncle I've never meet. You mite call it a "hippy commune", locals called it a cult :winedrinker:

This was my second visit since taking control of the estate in 1999.

Due to the forest fires in Dec 2018, everything gone. I'm not sure what was there to start with [shrug65465.gif]

The land was sold at auction and this white elephant put down last week.

My journey back started yesterday at 6pm in San Francisco arriving in Paris at midday. (11am UK time).
The Eurostar took me back to Ashford and a friend pick me up, driving the rest of the way home on the coast roads.

It's been an odd week, a mixture of the past and the present.

[ 7 posts ]