PATS CHAT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Lock down
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:41 pm 

Things are settling in here on the coast.

Few people use the buses and they observe the new shopping rules. NHS staff between 8am & 9am, older people 9am-10am.

Queuing outside supermarkets and other shops still open is becoming the new norm. One in, one out seems to be working here. There the odd one or two who try to jump the que's but there soon set upon by middle women or millennials.

With no traffic wardens working people are still following the parking restrictions.

I've not seen a taxi too. Maybe they're avoiding taxi ranks and only working if called out?

The seafront and beaches are still busy. Families walking with kids, dog walkers and joggers. Nothing is open and parents must be saving a fortune on ice cream and fun fare rides.

There a few volunteer groups being organized to support the vulnerable or homeless. Every lamp seems to have a flyer on it for one of these groups.

The areas more laid back than normal and feels little more friendly.

Post subject: Re: Lock down
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:31 pm 

I'm getting really tired of this now. I'm fed up with queuing for shopping and banking. There's no traffic wardens and parking is hell.

The worst thing is the food. Trying to get an home delivery is impossible and all the best take-a-ways are closed. Even hanging out in coffee shops is a no no too.

Still tons of people walking like zombies along the prom. There was a few kids flying kites on the beach today. The Police turn up and moved them on.....another thing that's banned.

Domestic violence is on the increase. One woman's in court for trying to kill her girlfriend with a coffee mug. A man tried to beat his sister with a computer, throwing a tower at her and then using to smash her head open.

Months of this to go yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:16 pm 
Person of Interest

Mr Fishy wrote:
I'm getting really tired of this now. I'm fed up with queuing for shopping and banking. There's no traffic wardens and parking is hell.

The worst thing is the food. Trying to get an home delivery is impossible and all the best take-a-ways are closed. Even hanging out in coffee shops is a no no too.

Still tons of people walking like zombies along the prom. There was a few kids flying kites on the beach today. The Police turn up and moved them on.....another thing that's banned.

Domestic violence is on the increase. One woman's in court for trying to kill her girlfriend with a coffee mug. A man tried to beat his sister with a computer, throwing a tower at her and then using to smash her head open.

Months of this to go yet.

You thought of taking up knitting. I know Cosy has, he's offered to knit me a willy-warmer?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:35 pm 

Its funny how the towns changed since this started. As I walked thru Brighton town centre the ever present army of beggars have disappeared.

The 3 main homeless support centres are open, but almost dead. More staff than visitors hanging around like vultures challenging the badly dressed or distressed with offers of unwanted help.

The patisserie now have longer ques than supermarkets with a fresh delivery of toilet paper.

The saddest sight was the children's water play area on the seafront boarded up and closed. With temperatures reaching 21C today, more than a few parents with children under 5 walk past it with longing looks.

What I found really odd was the difference between Brighton and Hove. Brighton seafront is almost dead and the main shopping areas too. Hove lawns where I lived for many years is packed with people walking their dogs or skateboarding. Hove's shopping areas are still busy with people and families.

It goes to prove what I've always said, Brighton's just for visitors, Hove is home.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:43 am 

Being old and nosey...........a borderline stalker, full time curtain twitcher :shifty:

I've been watching my neighbours mostly cos there no pubs, no football, something, something... is making me crazyyyyyyyy :crazy:

Noticing people are more friendly & talking to those living closer to home, a new phenomenon is happening: the lockdown romance.

A few have paired up in my road but there all in dental claiming there "just good friends". It's like love island in a cul de sac with over 40's and "Greggs really bodies".

I'm not sure how much of this will continue once the lock down ends, much like a holiday romance. Once life returns to normal, I'm sure they will stop talking again. Too busy with work and family to stop and chat.

But for now, self isolating is leading to a little less isolation for many.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:32 pm 
Person of Interest

So you're a curtain twitcher eh? I might have guessed.
People like you are the bane of our road. I can't even take a walk in the front garden without being shouted at to get dressed. What's it got to do with them, fekkin nozers.
I wave it at passing traffic, just being friendly like. People on the buses seem to understand me 'cos they all wave back.
Copper called to say there had been a complaint but when I explained that I was one of the 'vulnerable' ones he backed off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:28 am 

I'm starting to believe surviving the lock down is an age thing :think:

One of my friends loves being shut in at home. She's 60 and loving the time off from work.
Her daughter hating it. At 28 she feels the isolation.

Those with younger families are enjoying the time, even if there kids are being "little barstoods".

My own experience of the lock down is taking me back to my childhood. The strikes of the 70's where parents would be at home for months with little money and a little to do. There seems to be dead lock on how and when to end the lock down, much like strikes of my youth.

It's odd to think of today's kids looking back to the pandemic with fond memories in 30 years time. The year when the schools closed for 6 months and for once being allow to play video games 24 hours a day.

When the pandemic started a few months ago, I said " we will all know a family touch by this". Sadly this prediction is coming true.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:21 pm 
Odin

Try having three dogs..

I'll need a moment to recover from the tragedy..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:36 pm 
Person of Interest

tiggy wrote:
Try having three dogs..

Jeez! After having "HAD" three dogs you are entitled to a little rest! [eusa_angel.gif]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:46 pm 

The area is requesting the schools be reopen and life returns to normal. Sussex's death rate is less than 0.0001 with less than 500 cases for 2 million people since February.

The overall feeling is:

If those who commute to London stay at home
Universities & colleges stay closed & no language students are allowed.

Life can get back to normal for the rest of us.

[ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next