PATS CHAT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The canal boat joke
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:04 pm 

After last weeks trip north and spending a few days on a canal boat. I'm coming round to the idea of buying one for my sister. :think:

Cold, wet and a living hell :winedrinker:

Crammed into a damp iron confin with endless nutters running or cycling past at all times of the day or night .......would normally turn me on :rarrr:

But not this time [9n5.gif]

Hated running the engine every time the boat needed to move. The pace and movement seemed like pushing a fcuk up shopping trolly. Locks did my head in and the people were worst. There a canal boat "community" and I've never meet a bunch self inflated posers in my life. And I come from Brighton :shock:

My sister loved the whole thing, even in Oct's monsoon. If it means getting the fat old cow off my back over the summer......it mite be worth it :think:

I'm still not sold on the idea, its a shed load of money to buy in and the maintenance costs are eye watering high.

And what really worries me is what comes next :peekaboo:

I can hear her voice in my head saying " now I have a canal boat...... I need a house on the canal with its only moorings" :wall:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:21 am 
Person of Interest

Was Kon- Tiki you inspiration Mr Fishy?
You've been through much of the boat book, raft must be next for your consideration.
And...you save yourself the cost of an expensive engine! [adrian.gif]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:57 pm 

When I was 15, the navy offer a training place for marine engineering once I left school. Turning it down was a mistake and I've always regretted it. [9n5.gif]

Instead I took the apprenticeship at British Gas. :rolleyes:

At the time focus was on girl and she dream of buying a place here. We both follow advice from parents and tried to become "middle aged" before our time. :think:

Now I am "middle aged"......I can afford to look at boats and set aside around 200k from the house sale in Hove for this. A million pound yacht is outside my price range and any dream of blue water sailing have long since passed. I'm just too old for it now :crying:

My sisters dream of becoming a "canal boat gypsy" is alive and kicking. And while she won't give up her home to play for.....she will bug me and knows there money left in the boat budget to cover it. :doh:

The truth of the situation is.........50k-70k to buy a secondhand canal boat and I do have the money for it within boat budget. My sisters help me out a lot over the years and we are close. I just look at the running costs and think she never going to afford them.

Maybe it's time to let go of my sensible side, swallow the 5k per year running cost and let her have the dream :think:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:01 am 
Person of Interest

Why don't you hire one for a spell, see if you really like it?
That is if you get on with your sister!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:51 am 

That's an interesting point :think:

There are no canals along the south coast and I'm never going to use canal boat. There is no interest in this for me. Out of all the boats I've been on, a canal boat is on par with a sealink ferry from the 1970's. :rolleyes:

Its my sisters dream boat [9n5.gif]

Canal boat rental is £900 per week right now. In the summer that will double. :peekaboo:

So lets say £1800 per week x 16 weeks of summer = £28,800 [1744330pz84739fis.gif]

For 60k I can buy something like this:

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Can ... ny/282935#

It just works out cheaper to buy one than rent over two years :think:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 am 
Person of Interest

Mr Fishy wrote:
That's an interesting point :think:

There are no canals along the south coast and I'm never going to use canal boat. There is no interest in this for me. Out of all the boats I've been on, a canal boat is on par with a sealink ferry from the 1970's. :rolleyes:

Its my sisters dream boat [9n5.gif]

Canal boat rental is £900 per week right now. In the summer that will double. :peekaboo:

So lets say £1800 per week x 16 weeks of summer = £28,800 [1744330pz84739fis.gif]

For 60k I can buy something like this:

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Can ... ny/282935#

It just works out cheaper to buy one than rent over two years :think:

"There are no canals along the south coast"

You could always go up and down the Hythe Military Canal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:54 pm 

I'm not going into koont :shock:

For tears I've stood guard on Kuntish border encase they invade again. They want to turn the Downs into a hop farm and deport our sheep to New Zealand. It's happened before :crying:

Why do you think Cricket was invented in Sussex [eng1.gif]
Those Kuntish throw stones at the brave men of Sussex Yeoman and they knocked them right back at them :proud:

Crickets scoring started of by how many Kunts hit by one retuning stone. Where do you think "knocked for six" comes from :whee:

And its 3 hours by train to Hythe or 2 hours by road. You can pick up the London canal network faster. :think:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:43 pm 
Person of Interest

Seems to me then that you have a traffic problem,
Instead of throwing stones at each other, why not extend the canal so it can join the loop?
You know it makes sense.
No dirty diesels though.....Horses. Nice tow paths to amble along, and lots of goo for the garden. And...you'd get the full support of the extinction rebellion protesters.
Win Win! :proud:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:45 pm 

Hmmm a moat :woot:
It wont work :crying:
Kuntish are born in the marshlands and have webbed feet and 3 toes I'm told :think:
It's why there all called "Rodney" :wink_smile:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:10 am 
Person of Interest

Known as the military canal, the Hythe Military Canal is some 22 miles long and goes nowhere.
It is a paradise for ducks, fishermen and mozzies. Dug by French prisoners of war in the 18th century as a barrier, it has long been a feature, nay the cause, of hostilities betwixt the two counties koont and Sexxes.
The cause of these long held hostilities is long forgotten, this may be because all parties take every opportunity to throw filled bin bags at passing canal boats; which is why there are few canal boats on the Military canal.
On the 31st day of February every four years an enaction is carried out on both sides of the canal to celebrate the opening ceremony, the date of which is also long forgotten.
(Wackypaedia)

[ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next