PATS CHAT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Playing the housing system
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:38 pm 

After dragging myself away from endless party scene this evening.........I popped down to a meeting on social housing reform and heard something really unusual.

People are staging poor health to gain access to housing. The main offenders seem to be in the 45-60 age range. To be fair they do have health issues but not to the extent of full time care.

I was told this evening this was a growth area in housing fraud.

How this fraud works is:

The person with health issues leaves there partner

Due to their health conditions they are automaticity given emergency accommodation by the local council. Normally bed and breakfast.

While in emergency accommodation they play on there health issues by regularly engaging with medical professionals.

After a while social & health workers reports lead to them being moved into more suitable long term accommodation.

The partner (ex) moves into the accommodation and sells there previous home.

All this takes around one to two years to complete. With housing prices in the south east running over 300k, the rewards are high. And there's little anyone can do stop this.

I heard one story of a man who called an ambulance 31 times in 7 day due to stomach and leg pains. In the end the local ambulance gave up on him and asked the Police to be the first responders.

A woman who didn't wash for week before seeing a doctor and filled her accommodation with rubbish leading to eviction from the B&B.

In both cases they were rushed to the front of the social housing list and given ground floor accommodation noramly used for pensioners. In both cases there ex partners moved into the accommodation within 6 months. Both were found renting out there previous homes.

One newly completed building was found to have twice the numbers living in it and checks revealed average incomes were over 60k per year. This was due to people "managing their illness" and returning to work.

Local housing providers can't evict due to the reasons they were given the accommodation in the first place. They will not evict the partner due to them being "full time carers", even if they're working full time.

The question is what can you do about it? There is a shortage of one bedroom warden assisted "granny" flats in the south east. Fraud is hard to spot until it's too late. They have tried increasing checks on people but due to local council cuts these are being missed.

Post subject: Re: Playing the housing system
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:17 am 
Person of Interest

""The partner (ex) moves into the accommodation and sells there previous home.""

In a falling housing market, would they not be better off renting their house, less risky?

BTW. Love the way you give fair shares to there, their and they're.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:37 am 

Dong wrote:
""The partner (ex) moves into the accommodation and sells there previous home.""

In a falling housing market, would they not be better off renting their house, less risky?

Well dong there a simple reason for this: rising socal care costs and personal contributions.

To find out if you own a property, they just run a land registry search.

If you sell the house and move the money into something a little less trackable like a pension plan, offshore bank account or bonds, its harder work to trace.

Even the Bank of England is still an issuer of dollar-denominated “bearer notes” for the purpose of financing its foreign exchange that are untraceable.

The bottom line is:

If you have money and they find out, expect to be charged for social care services.
If you don't have a pot to piss in and rent, they don't.

Read:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... -they-work

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:43 am 
Person of Interest

Baby Gravy wrote:
Dong wrote:

Well dong there a simple reason for this: rising socal care costs and personal contributions.

To find out if you own a property, they just run a land registry search.

If you sell the house and move the money into something a little less trackable like a pension plan, offshore bank account or bonds, its harder work to trace.

Even the Bank of England is still an issuer of dollar-denominated “bearer notes” for the purpose of financing its foreign exchange that are untraceable.

The bottom line is:

If you have money and they find out, expect to be charged for social care services.
If you don't have a pot to piss in and rent, they don't.

Read:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e ... -they-work

I tried to explain to my children how we are determined to spend all we have before we go.

It did not go down too well!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:53 am 

Hmmm.... you may not get the chance.

Right now local councils and government are reducing public services. Home helps and meals on wheels are costing more and more each year.

And at some point you will need help as you get older.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:22 pm 
Person of Interest

Well, I'd better spend it fast 'cos I can't get a lot older than I am now.
Think I'll forego the care home and book a room in a good hotel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:24 pm 

They will not let you die in a hotel :rolleyes:
Dying like everything else needs paperwork [1744330pz84739fis.gif]
Maybe I should write a thread on this :think:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:35 pm 
Person of Interest

Die in a hotel and you get carried away in a laundry basket, out of the back door.

I remember John Cleese had this problem to deal with.

Just better hope it was not a crime scene, in which case the local constabulary might want a word.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:50 am 
Site Admin

People have been playing the housing system for years. Getting pregnant used to be the most direct way for a woman to get a house. Truth be known though, every system you can think of gets played by every one of us. We all try and work systems to our advantage whatever they may be.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:57 am 
King cosy

:wink_smile:

[ 10 posts ]