PATS CHAT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: E scooters
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:42 am 

Most of us have seen the increasing amount of e scooters bobbing around. They go about 14 miles per hour for 12 miles. For those who live in cities there a growing solution for gridlocked roads, over crowded buses or trains. You can take them on public transport too. Compacted they fold way unlike cycles and easy to transport up and down stairs only weighing 12kg.

“Warning: It is illegal to ride electric scooters on public roads, pavements, or cycle paths. They are intended only for use on private land with the owner’s permission."

There a £300 on the spot fine too, but the Police seem to ignore them.

Xiaomi seem to be the market leaders and sell an e scooter for around £400. The main issue with most of their range: there not design for the Great British weather.

I think e scooters do have a role is cutting emissions over the long term. Right now they need a lot more development and a improved design. Suspension is basic and vibration white finger is a concern for long term users. Weatherproofing really needs to redesign and there still the issue of fire caused by overheating batteries. The batteries inside are the just a bank of 18650 lithium batteries, the same ones used in most e cigs. Take it from me they dont last long, I replace mine every few months.

Would I spend a few thousand on a good one?

Nope, until the law changes in the UK and there design standards there a waste of money. You can buy a e cycle that will do much the same thing for £500 that you can ride without the risk of a Police stop and fine.

[ 1 post ]