PATS CHAT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Solar Powered 12V Battery Auto Trickle Charger For Cars
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:47 am 

I'm forced to use a silly disability 998cc car that only costs £60 per year for parking permit and nothing to tax. The car's idle most of the time only being used for social driving. And to make things worst, battery keeps going flat [9n5.gif]

After looking around, solar trickle charger maybe the answer :think:

1.5 watts isn't much good and I know these are around £10 from Maplin's. Instead I've been looking at 4.5 watt units on ebay for £20.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5W-12V-Car ... Sw-olaISo1

They all charge the car battery the same way by plugging into the ciggy lighter and simple to set up. :winedrinker:

Post subject: Re: Solar Powered 12V Battery Auto Trickle Charger For Cars
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 pm 

Oh God where to start on this :rolleyes:
My ciggy lighter port not powered when the car engine is off :shock:

I've had to rewire the solar panel and buy a OBD power cable from Halfords :blush:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... gKQSPD_BwE

I should have got the one from the AA for £25 :think:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:17 am 
Silent Assassin

Baby Gravy wrote:
I'm forced to use a silly disability 998cc car that only costs £60 per year for parking permit and nothing to tax. The car's idle most of the time only being used for social driving. And to make things worst, battery keeps going flat [9n5.gif]

After looking around, solar trickle charger maybe the answer :think:

1.5 watts isn't much good and I know these are around £10 from Maplin's. Instead I've been looking at 4.5 watt units on ebay for £20.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5W-12V-Car ... Sw-olaISo1

They all charge the car battery the same way by plugging into the ciggy lighter and simple to set up. :winedrinker:

What's a disability car?
And who forced you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:31 am 

My days of looking cool in a shiny red sports car are over :crying:

My council only charge £10 for a disability residential parking permit and £130 for a regular one. And being the tw*ts at the council..... they have rules for this too :rolleyes:

Due to having a little too much money :blush:

I'm not eligible for state help or welfare payments like PIP. [1744330pz84739fis.gif]

And to meet the council's requirements and just to make my life easier, I have an adapted car. It's not on a lease or anything and I brought it new, then sent it to be adapted for my needs.

They took the back seats out on the drivers side, so my seat goes all the way back making it easier for me to get in and out. Normally I get in and out thru the rear passages door and push a button taking me into the driving position.

Its automatic and I change gears on steering wheel and the hand brake is electronic.

The downside is this crappy zero emission fiats battery seems to have come from the pound shop and wont hold a charge for too long [9n5.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:50 pm 
Silent Assassin

Why aren't you eligible for PIP?

Your condition seems to be deteriorating quite rapidly too, you've gone from a mild heart attack to a heart attack and stroke that left you with a limp and now you're at the point where you have to have major adaptations to get in and out of your car. Bit of a change from only having a blue badge because you could and not because you needed one. I'm amazed that you can still work to be honest. [adrian.gif]

Good to see that you managed to google the parking permit charges for the area that you say you live in [thumbsup.png]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:46 pm 

My heart attack was sign of other health issues I'd being ignoring for years :blush:
It's only stubbornness that keeps me going :shifty:

Most of my work these days involves meeting and inspections, no longer working 60-70 hour as before.
And my mind still works and I'm most of the way thu MSc in Development Management with the OU. :proud:

PIP and its endless assessments...... are for those like Amber who don't have a pot to piss in. Its why PIP is tax free and not means tested. The truth is like most government benefits there are strings attached. If your under 50 you shouldn't take PIP unless you're at death's door. It's all to do with NI and state pensions.

I'd love to write a thread on PIP and what's wrong with it, but I gave up on this last year.
And my point is simple: if you don't really need it, why jump thru hoops trying to get it [shrug65465.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:58 pm 
Silent Assassin

Aye alright :rolleyes:

There's a difference between not qualifying for PIP and deciding not to go for it because you don't need it.
I'm fortunate that I'm not bad enough to qualify for PIP but I'm glad it's there for those that do genuinely qualify and need it.

And I still think you're typing a load of bollocks [adrian.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:37 pm 

I nodded off then, did you say something [shrug65465.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:56 am 

Normally after 5 or 6 days my car battery would be flat without use [9n5.gif]
Today it started first time :whee:

I've been reading few posts on solar car battery chargers and it's easy to see why people have issues with them. There not looking at the battery or the car before buying one [9n5.gif]

You have to make sure your car's ciggy lighter port works with the keys out. I didn't and it cost me another £10 for a eobd cable [9n5.gif]

Bigger isn't better: solar chargers can go up to 10 Watts
Daylight is seasonal and summer days will reduce and winter day increase charging times. Have a look at the battery and make sure the charger wont overload it in summer.

I'm still not sure why this is happening with this car. Its never been an issue on any other car I've own in the last 30 years. My friends dont have the problem.

In the back of my mind.......there a nasty thought..... did they size the car battery wrong :think:

[ 9 posts ]