PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:58 pm 
Miss Sunshine

cosy,m wrote:
he be asking you out next peeks :whistle:

That’s the plan Cosy! [flash.gif]

Post subject: Re: World Cup 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:09 pm 

fastcars wrote:
Emotional ( nothing to do with football)

Peeks moved on fast :shock:

Poor fattycoont :crying:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am 
Odin

So England aren’t going to bring it home, Road sweepers are busy collecting up discarded St. George car window flags and now it’s started raining. The newspapers, until recently full of praise for Gareth and the lads, are now slowing picking apart his tactics and refusal to change the team.

.. and the lads are still there, with Belgium ahead. We might not have won, but we can still show some pride. I wonder how many will bother watching the match tomorrow..

I'll need a moment to recover from the tragedy..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Now that the dust has settled and the patriotism has subsided its time to look at some small hard facts. BM is correct, England had an easy run, drawn against teams they'd normally be expected to beat. Don't get me wrong, they did good, their professionalism was outstanding against some quite brutal tactics at times but they are still a long way off being the next Brazil, Germany or Netherlands. England just seem to be missing that extra spark when it matters, that one player who stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of skill and leadership. Someone who can drag the odds back into your favour when the backs are against the wall.

As for Southgates tactics, yes they were predictable, very much so, if England were winning and in command he'd stick with the same 11 players till the final whistle, if they were having difficulty he'd swap Stirling for Rashford and Dyer for Henderson. It wasn't hard to read.

10 out of 10 though for the way the team made the country feel for those few weeks, while the politicians were doing their best to make everyone feel crap.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:05 pm 
Miss Sunshine

fastcars wrote:
Now that the dust has settled and the patriotism has subsided its time to look at some small hard facts. BM is correct, England had an easy run, drawn against teams they'd normally be expected to beat. Don't get me wrong, they did good, their professionalism was outstanding against some quite brutal tactics at times but they are still a long way off being the next Brazil, Germany or Netherlands. England just seem to be missing that extra spark when it matters, that one player who stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of skill and leadership. Someone who can drag the odds back into your favour when the backs are against the wall.

As for Southgates tactics, yes they were predictable, very much so, if England were winning and in command he'd stick with the same 11 players till the final whistle, if they were having difficulty he'd swap Stirling for Rashford and Dyer for Henderson. It wasn't hard to read.

10 out of 10 though for the way the team made the country feel for those few weeks, while the politicians were doing their best to make everyone feel crap.

Were Netherlands in it then? I can’t remembet seeing the orange shirts [shrug65465.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:59 pm 
Odin

fastcars wrote:

It’s because the team were progressing, that the media never really questioned the tactics too seriously, until it was safe to do so...

This country’s media have for too long, berated their national teams, be they football, cricket or rugby. This World Cup has made a refreshing change..

.. and I would’ve said Argentina... definitely not The Netherlands..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:07 pm 
Wooden Spoon

The Dutch have taken some great players and teams to tournaments, as have England. Dutch invented total football with those great sides in the 70's. Both of em have underachieved..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:17 pm 
Miss Sunshine

Bad Manners wrote:
The Dutch have taken some great players and teams to tournaments, as have England. Dutch invented total football with those great sides in the 70's. Both of em have underachieved..

Heyup here’s the big fella, coooeeee pal 1956362r6lk147bwq.gif]
[giggle.gif]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:08 am 
Odin

Bad Manners wrote:

The Dutch didn’t invent total football, just the term...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:13 pm 
Well HELLOOOOO!

I'd love to see Croatia lift the trophy this evening.
It may be pretty unlikely, but it would be such a victorious vindication for a sport smothered at times by both delusion and cynicism.
However France are a solid, enthralling outfit and would also be worthy champions.
Either way, I hope it's a good game and not too cagey.

[ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next